With over 8 million active readers, VentureBeat has emerged as a leading source for news about technology. Our goal is to help individuals and business leaders to get ahead by explaining the most widely impacting technologies affecting our lives, such as mobile devices to business software.
Located in the heart of San Francisco, VentureBeat seeks to have a strong brand, voice, and point of view. We’re a young, creative, collaborative, and energetic team.
We’re looking to hire world-class people and keep them happy and productive once they’re here.
Guest Posts Editor (PC Gaming Channel)
We’re looking for a skilled editor to help lead our pioneering coverage of PC gaming.
VentureBeat‘s PC gaming channel provides a 360-degree view of the industry ecosystem. PC gaming is growing around the world, as it’s becomes the go-to platform for indie developers looking to make their first games, the hotbed for esports and high-end virtual reality development, the focus of the strategy-gaming renaissance, and more. And GamesBeat wants you to help chronicle this most fascinating sector of gaming.
As VentureBeat’s Guest Posts Editor for PC Gaming, you’ll solicit and edit guest posts from insiders, investors, and pundits. Additionally, you’ll be on the lookout for republishing opportunities for news and analysis from top bloggers, syndication partners, and academics.
You’re already familiar with PC gaming, Steam, and Battle.net. You love innovation and have 3-5 years experience assigning and editing posts that provide smart insights, fresh angles on current news, and above all, explain why something matters. You understand the entire life cycle of game development from creation and design, to selecting an engine and platform, to marketing, monetization, ongoing support, and modding. You’re eager to build a stable of contributors, and you know when to dive in and do a wholesale rewrite and when to back off and simply buy a vowel or insert that mot juste.
Please be available to work approximately 20 hours/week at our San Francisco headquarters, or if you prefer, you may work remotely. This is a freelance, temporary position, and compensation is an hourly rate plus approved expenses.
If you’re as excited as we are, please send a resume, desired compensation (hourly rate), and cover letter containing three links to your best clips (as editor) and three links to your best clips (as writer) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “PC Gaming Guest Posts Editor” in your subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.
The Reporter for GamesBeat helps set the tone of coverage for VentureBeat’s gaming channel, covering news about video games, video game publishers and developers, gadgets related to video games, startup news, reviews, and anything else that pertains to video games. The Reporter takes the lead in daily coverage, ensuring that our publication hits the day’s news and helping keep a steady flow of stories on the channel.
This is a temporary contract position, with the potential to grow into a full-time contract position. Compensation is an hourly rate plus approved expenses. Please be available to work approximately 40 hours/week at our San Francisco headquarters, or if you prefer, you may work remotely. This position reports to the managing editor for GamesBeat.
Coverage for GamesBeat
The Reporter will cover gaming — from small startups to big publishers such as Electronic Arts — for GamesBeat, writing pieces about all gaming platforms. This will include writing news articles, reviewing games, checking out early code for previews, and short and long features. The Reporter will also take meetings with developers and companies remotely.
- 4-6 posts on GamesBeat/per day
- Helping with each month’s reviews
- Expanding coverage game tech
- Participating in our events, helping to find speakers and panelists, and developing content
- Staying on top of the major stories in gaming
- Helping to grow our video presence on Twitch and YouTube
Experience and other requirements:
- 2 years of reporting, either freelance or on staff of a publication
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Please send a cover letter, a resume, and three clips that show your reporting skills to email@example.com.
Strategic Account Director — San Francisco
We are looking for a passionate and consultative sales professional to help sell big, custom campaigns and integrated marketing solutions to leading business and technology brands. The Strategic Account Director will help drive VentureBeat’s online, custom, and events business, already at the epicenter of the startup ecosystem and wider digital-tech revolution, to further heights.
The ideal candidate has at least five years of B2B experience in the technology media marketplace. This strategic sales executive will be an instant value creator with established contacts who will help VentureBeat expand the brand’s presence and business with new and existing strategic partners. This vital talent will be responsible for prospecting, developing, and closing new business, as well as overseeing clients’ integrated marketing and advertising campaigns.
The role is at the heart of our organization: Advertising and sponsorship sales for VentureBeat’s website, events, and custom content marketing solutions ensure our success and continued growth.
The position is located in San Francisco but will require some travel. Please contact our recruitment team for further information.
- Manage and maintain current client and agency relationships and build new partnerships with prospective clients
- Strong focus on new business relationships with Tier 1 media buying agencies and leading technology and business brands
- Observe industry and market trends and develop plans for achieving strategic goals
- Exceed quarterly and annual targets to drive revenue growth
- Assist in leading all marketing and RFP brainstorms
- Track campaign results to leverage and foster further partnerships with clients and to forecast future revenue growth
- Continually research trending and innovative ad products and bring market-leading solutions into the conversation
- 5 years’ experience in online media ad sales within respective territory
- Strong experience in B2B media preferred
- Existing relationships with Business/Technology and Tier 1 media buying agencies
- Strong sales skills, including prospecting, forecasting, pitching, presenting, and closing large deals
- Strong knowledge of current tech industry trends, such as messaging, artificial intelligence, AR/VR, Mobile, Games, and Cloud
- Working knowledge of content marketing solutions
- Ability to ideate dynamic, complex, and highly targeted integrated concepts, customized to the specific needs of the brand
- Contract negotiation experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The Account Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the sales team in planning, executing and monitoring the advertising and sponsorship programs of VentureBeat’s customer base across all digital, events and research products. This individual will work with a designated Sales team to ensure flawless campaign planning and execution as well as provide optimal client service support for assigned Advertisers and Agencies. This includes: preparing sales proposals and client presentations, collecting and presenting research information, providing the clients with information concerning rates, advertising creative deadlines, technical specifications, and inventory availability, and tracking impression delivery. Additionally, the Account Coordinator will work closely with clients to maximize effectiveness of their advertising campaigns.
- Prepare sales proposals.
- Work with sales team and other departments to assist in the creation of client proposals, presentations, and media plans.
- Verify inventory availability throughout the sales process
- Create internal orders and insertion orders and adhere to defined business processes
- Communicate ad specifications and creative lead times to advertisers/agencies.
- Collect creative from client, verify specifications and follow defined creative/Traffic process.
- Create and traffic accurate campaigns in ad delivery system and implement any necessary creative changes/optimizations.
- Monitor campaigns and ensure campaign delivery
- Manage campaign performance and make optimization recommendations.
- Provide clients/sales with any necessary campaign reporting.
- Interact with accounting department in regards to client credit and billing requests/issues.
- Provide Sales administrative/Account related support.
- The successful candidate must be Sales focused and should have direct experience in the Internet and/or Advertising industries.
- This individual will possess a BA/BS degree (or equivalent training and experience), and will have at least 1-2 years work experience in a sales or sales support related role.
- Ideal candidate is extremely detail-oriented, exceptionally organized, has the ability to multitask and manage multiple accounts, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills, solid computer/technical skills, and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline orientated environment.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.